Permit Applications and Fees
Permits can be obtained at the Code Enforcement Department office located in City Hall at 105 Milwaukee Mall. Feel free to stop in with any questions about permits and inspections or call the office at 641-257-6310.
If you do not fill one of these permits out in the office, just use the provided links to print a permit and fill out. Once the permit is complete, drop it off at the Code Enforcement Department office or fax it to (641) 257-6331.
- Building Permit Fees
- Investigation Fee
- Two times the fee for the required permit
Building permit fees are based on a sliding scale. It is important to obtain a permit before construction starts, otherwise investigation fees will be applied. Permits must be paid in full before issuance.
Rental Housing Inspection Information
- Charles City Ordinance No. 1073 and Resolution 97-13
- Rental Housing Registration Application
- Rental Housing Inspection Districts
- Rental Inspection Checklist
- Rental Inspection Checklist Key
Landlords are reminded that all rental units are required to be registered in October of every year. A fee of $25.00 is required at the time of registration, this fee also includes the unit's inspection. Each unit shall be inspected on a rotating basis depending on where in the City it is located, see above "Rental Housing Inspection Districts". District 1 rentals will be inspected starting in the winter months of 2013-2014, District 2 will be done starting in the winter months of 2014-2015 with District 3 starting in the winter months of 2015-2016. We will then start over with the District 1 properties during the years 2016-2017.
- Zoning Ordinance (adopted January 3, 2005)
- Zoning Map
- Subdivision Ordinance (adopted January 3, 2005)
- Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria